For British Citizens

Depending on whether you are a child or an adult, applying for your first passport or a replacement passport, the requirements will vary.

For Non-UK nationals

If you are not a British citizen and are unable to use or obtain a passport from your country, we can help you apply for a travel document from the Home Office.

You must be living in the UK for one of the following reasons:

  • you have permission to stay as a refugee or stateless person
  • you have humanitarian protection
  • you have discretionary leave for a limited time after a failed asylum application
  • you’re settled here permanently (you have ‘indefinite leave to remain’)

You must show that you’ve formally applied for and been unreasonably refused a passport by the authorities in your country, unless you have permission to be in the UK as a refugee or stateless person.

Depending on your status, there are four categories of travel document you can apply for.

Your Status Type of Travel Document Adult Fee Child (15 or under) Fee
Refugee Convention travel document £75 £49
Stateless Stateless person’s document £75 £49
You want to leave and not come back One-way document (IS137) £75 £49
Refused a passport by your own national authorities Certificate of Travel £280 £141